Thursday, February 3, 2011

Creamy Rice Pudding




I made this recipe last night. Of course you know I can't just leave a recipe alone!  If you have any Basmati Rice use that instead... It is amazing!  Also, I decided I wasn't going to worry about calories or fat or anything else so I substituted half and half for half of the milk. It really makes a difference (in my opinion) in that it is really rich and super creamy.  If you don't have any half and half no worries, you can also use french vanilla creamer! ;) (Also a substitution I have used that works really well!)
  My family doesn't like raisins in their Rice Pudding so I didn't put those in.  I did however want to jazz it up a bit so I peeled and sliced a couple of apples and sauted them in butter an cinnamon until soft.  ( I just eye-balled the amounts.  I think I used about half a stick of real butter and a half tsp of cinnamon and two large apples.)
In my opinion Rice pudding is best when eaten warm.  I served it warm with the cinnamon apples on the top.  It was pretty yummy! :)  I also had to double the recipe as the men in my house eat twice the normal portion of this pudding!  For those of you with two or three kids you'll probably need to double it as well.
Enjoy!

Ingredients

3/4 cup uncooked white rice

2 cups milk, divided

1/3 cup white sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 egg, beaten

2/3 cup golden raisins

1 tablespoon butter

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

  1. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
  2. In another saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk, beaten egg and raisins. Be careful to add slowly so as not to end up with scrambled eggs in your pudding!  Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Be careful to not overcook or you will end up with a less than creamy pudding.  Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla. Serve warm.       
    Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment